We are getting divorced and I want to keep the house in Wellesley.

Additional information: When I got married, I moved into my wife’s house. We are now getting divorced and I want to keep the house in Wellesley. Do I have any rights to it?


The answer to your question depends on various factors. How long have you been married? Have you contributed to the costs of the home or taken care of the home in some way? How long have you lived there? Does your wife want to retain the home? Are there other marital assets? Was a premarital agreement entered into prior to your marriage? Do you want to actually own the home or do you want to live there for a period of time? What was the home worth when you moved in and what is it worth now? Is there equity in the home? Can you afford the mortgage on your own? Are there children involved and where would they live? Depending on the answers to these questions it is possible that you and your wife can work out an agreement for you to remain in the home.

Wellesley divorce mediator, Attorney Tracy Fischer  is a  Greater Boston family law and divorce mediator.   Divorce mediation is an alternative to divorce litigation and is often the best option for couples. Speaking with an experienced Massachusetts divorce mediator is often the best way to resolve your divorce amicably. Tracy provides mediation and family law services to individuals and families throughout the Boston Metro region including Andover, Beverly, Boxford, Burlington, Danvers, Gloucester, Marblehead, Newton, Needham, Peabody, Salem, Tewksbury, Topsfield, Waltham, Watertown,  Wayland, Wellesley, Weston and Wilmington, Massachusetts.

Contact Tracy Fischer
close slider

Get In Touch