Can one party make legal changes to the signed mediation agreement?

Additional Information:

Can he legally make changes to the signed mediation agreement? We settled all the issues, we both signed the papers, along with our attorneys in Gloucester.  Now he said he has contacted his lawyer to make changes to the agreement. Can he do that?


Once a mediated or negotiated Separation or Divorce Agreement is signed and notarized, one party does not have the option to change it.  If it has not been allowed by a Judge at a Divorce Hearing, the party who no longer agrees with it may refuse to sign the court paperwork to file or may attend the hearing and express to the Judge that the party no longer feels the agreement is “fair and reasonable”. A judge may enforce that agreement depending on the rest of the circumstances.  If both parties agree, the agreement may be modified.

Attorney Tracy Fischer  is a  Greater Boston family law and divorce mediator.   Divorce mediation is an alternative to divorce litigation and is often the best option for couples. Speaking with an experienced Massachusetts divorce mediator is often the best way to resolve your divorce amicably. Tracy provides mediation and family law services to individuals and families throughout the Boston Metro region including Andover, Beverly, Boxford, Burlington, Danvers, Gloucester, Marblehead, Newton, Needham, Peabody, Salem, Tewksbury, Topsfield, Waltham, Watertown,  Wayland, Wellesley, Weston and Wilmington, Massachusetts.


Contact Tracy Fischer
close slider

Get In Touch