Have a job offer but it is a reduction in pay, will I get modification to alimony?

Additional Information:

I have been ordered to provide alimony to my wife, and I’ve been doing that for some months now. I have a new management job offer in Brazil where I’m originally from, and I want to really take it. Problem is when converting my pay back to US dollars, it reduces my pay significantly by 40%. Can I take up the job first and then apply for a modification? Please advise if that is the right way to go about this situation.


You may want to consider post-divorce mediation to deal with a modification to your original divorce agreement.  You would be able to meet with your ex-wife together with a neutral trained mediator to deal with the issues that would arise with your new work position.  Your ex-wife may be able to understand the opportunity that this job offer affords you: promotion to management and, a move back to your home country.  You could frame this as a positive opportunity for you, and not a negative turn of events for her.